Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection

Wisconsin Food Processing and Food Sales Requirements Food & Safety Licensing Guide

Download Guide: WIFoodProcessingFoodSalesRequirements

Contact DATCP Licensing Specialist for more information:

608-224-4923 or e-mail: datcpdfslicensing@wi.gov

Douglas County - Dept. of Health and Human Services, Environmental Health


Wisconsin "Cookie Law"

Wisconsin Farmers Union has a great site www.wisconsincottagefood.com that explains the current state of the home based food production law.

In a nutshell, certain home baked goods are exempt from licensing and can be sold at farmers markets, festivals, and other limited outlets. Be sure to review their web page on best practices for selling baked goods.


Wisconsin "Pickle Bill"

The "pickle bill" allows limited sales of home-canned foods without a license. Previously you needed to register with the Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection for these sales, but that is no longer necessary. The DATCP website provides more guidance about the pickle bill.


UW-Madison Extension, Food Processing Guide

Purchase the full guide or download a portion of a guide produced by Extension that provides guidance on packaged foods.


Homemade for Sale

Learn about make homemade foods and making them available for sale from this book. This website also includes some free resources and tips. This is provided as a resource, and should not imply an endorsement.